Okay, the baby is wiggling around under bilirubin lights to my left, and the wife is sweetly snoring on the foldout couch to my right, so I have a few minutes to share with you 10 songs I can’t live without.
- From 2002, MeShelle Ndegeocello’s song Priorities 1-6. Bet even Papa Jo Jones would dig these crazy hi-hats http://url4t.com/WCQ [picapp align=”left” wrap=”false” link=”term=meshell+ndegeocello&iid=3957287″ src=”7/1/8/b/The_Tonight_Show_4bf2.jpg?adImageId=9994842&imageId=3957287″ width=”380″ height=”254″ /]
- From 1996, Big Mama’s Door by Alvin Youngblood Hart http://lala.com/zFHv In his early 30s, Hart brings you oooold school blues
- From 2004, Anais Mitchell sings her ingenious song, 1984. Combines Orwell’s 1984 w/ Prince’s 1999.
- From 2008, ♫ She Got To You by Esperanza Spalding. Damn, that’s cold! http://lala.com/zSZl [picapp align=”left” wrap=”false” link=”term=esperanza+spalding&iid=4698971″ src=”c/2/2/6/2009_New_Orleans_abe6.jpg?adImageId=9994998&imageId=4698971″ width=”380″ height=”253″ /]
- From 2002, the song Tika Ngai from Lokua Kanza. Beautiful vocals from this native of the Congo (Zaire) http://lala.com/zm03
- From 2004, ♫ Sleepwalking by The Bruces. Dark & earthy folk with some nice guitar picking. http://lala.com/zSJQ
- From 2004, trip hop artist DJ Krush on “Transition.” Piecing together samples clean as Irish Spring…http://url4t.com/tFE [picapp align=”left” wrap=”false” link=”term=DJ+Krush&iid=7547166″ src=”3/b/d/8/Musician_DJ_Krush_80e6.jpg?adImageId=9995377&imageId=7547166″ width=”234″ height=”351″ /]
- From 2001, Celtic singer Alyth McCormack on “A Mhairead Óg,” from album The Edge…dark piano chords, angel voice http://tiny.cc/j9EU5
- From 2004, Plunger by Umphrey’s McGee. Math-rock pyrotechnics that get me all in a tither. http://url4t.com/EMT [picapp align=”left” wrap=”false” link=”term=Umphrey%27s+McGee&iid=3109130″ src=”6/b/b/e/5th_Annual_Jammy_e7f8.jpg?adImageId=9995155&imageId=3109130″ width=”380″ height=”243″ /]
- From 2003, you may have missed “Slide” with Jill Scott because it was on bone player Jeff Bradshaw’s album.
What are some songs you can’t live without? Let me know. I can’t wait to check out them out.
Gotta go. Baby just slid out of her lights mask…cute little rascal.
# # #